Tuesday, October 30, 2012

a little fall baking

With Halloween being TOMORROW, it was time to do a little fall baking.  Jeff needed something for his office potluck, so Carson and I decided to bake up a storm and make goodies for the neighbors too.

The recipe of the day was...pumpkin bread.  This stuff is so good.  It just tastes like fall.  I've tried so many different pumpkin bread recipes and I finally put a bunch of them together, made a few changes and additions and came up with this one.  It really is delicious!

We made a double batch and turned a bunch into cupcakes for Jeff's office party. 




Pumpkin Bread

  • 1 15 oz. box (or can) of pumpkin
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups four
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour loaf pans.  
In a large bowl mix: pumpkin, applesauce, eggs, oil, water, both sugars and vanilla.
In a separate bowl whisk: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger (I'm picky about my spices.  I like them nice and strong.  Penzeys Spices are my favorite!)
Stir dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until just blended.
Baking times vary depending upon what you're making.  I've found that a large loaf takes about 45 minutes, mini loaves take about 30 minutes, and muffins/cupcakes take 20 minutes.  Check them often, you don't want to overcook these or they'll be dry.

This recipe makes 24 fairly large muffins, 6 mini loaves or 3 large loaves.

 To turn them into cupcakes, I simply added my favorite cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Mix the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until just combined.  
Add the sugar and mix until smooth.

I made them Halloween party ready by adding spiderwebs.  It's so quick and easy!

Here's how you make the spiderwebs:  
Frost cupcakes as smoothly as possible.  Add 3 or 4 rings in a darker color.  I went with traditional black and white (this gel food coloring is the best and it comes in the greatest colors - black is one of them).

 While the frosting is still nice and wet, drag a toothpick from the center outward to create the webs!


Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I love the spiderwebs!! The key is the toothpick - you're so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my yummy!!! Just made these last night and they turned out delicious!! Thank you for the tasty, healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete